Liquid Gold

Liquid gold - 258,508 g

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

20 Days of Gold Making - Day 1

It has been a little over a week since my fist blog post and I am very grateful for the the awesome response I have got.  A big thank you again to Mithrildar and Jim from Power Word: Gold for linking and supporting my blog.  As I mentioned in  my first post I will be doing Nev's 20 Days of Gold Making to help get posts flowing and get me kick-started.  I refuse to be another blogger that pops up then fades away. So, let's get this started.

When did I start gold making?

I started making gold in the middle of Wrath of the Lich King.  At the time I had mining and jewelcrafting on my main fury warrior and was trying to get into an ICC raiding group.  My protection warrior friend had proved to me that quite a good bit of gold could be made from just prospecting and cutting gems.  Each day I would go out and mine a bunch of ore, prospect and cut gems, and do the daily jewelcrafting quest for tokens.  Back then I didn't buy ore off the AH because, by all means I was a miner too, I was making way more mining it myself.  I laugh now at that notion, because "time is money friend."

Somewhere around that time I was having an alt leveling spree, because I was in between jobs.  I got this great idea that I wanted to be self sufficient and have useful professions for all of my alts and not have to bother anyone to craft me what I needed.  With all that gold I was making from jewelcrafting and farming  the mats myself on each appropriate toon I leveled my professions.  My warlock became my tailor/enchanter, my druid my skinner/leatherworker, and my death knight a blacksmith/alchemist.  I leveled a mining and herbalist paladin too at the same pace as the DK to feed his professions.  Even with this set up I wasn't making a whole lot of gold.  I was spending all my time as a raid and guild leader for a 10 man ICC group.  I didn't really start to see substantial amounts of gold until my druid picked up the rep boot patterns Blessed Cenarion Boots and Footpads of Impending Death and crafting them for a nice profit.  I entered Cataclysm with a decent amount of gold but wasn't utilizing all my profession for gold.  This brings me to the answer to the second part of the question.

And what triggered it?

When I got into Cataclysm my main was my druid because he had all the gold.  By the time I level capped and bought the Darkmoon Card: Tsunami for my restoration set I was broke again.  It was then that it finally started to click that if I could make use of all my professions and level them to max again I could make gold and not be broke all the time after getting a few items.  So I started searching.  My searching brought me to many different gold guides and I even bought one.  After going through it I found that over half of the information in it was already out there for free.  I quickly canceled my subscription to the guide.  What I did get from it was add-ons I never knew about before like Auctionator, Postal, TSM and Altoholic.  I found Undermine Journal and followed the posts daily.  So to sum it up, being broke and utilizing my cartel of professions are what finally triggered me to learn the art that is gold making in World of Warcraft.  I am still very much a student and enjoy the ups and downs of learning new markets and overcoming challenges.

Final thoughts

My next post will likely be the Cold's Gold Blogging Carnival hosted by Selltacular - August topic. Rules and subject for this month can be found by following the link.  Much thanks again to all the gold bloggers and podcasters I follow who inspire my thoughts about gold making and markets daily.  Information to contact me by email or twitter is in the 'contact me' area. Till next time.

-Droth

No comments:

Post a Comment